2017 was a very exciting year at Atacana! We had the honor to support several blockbuster pharma products and several products in development. In addition, we were invited to participate in a variety of project proposals which gave us great insights into the challenges that pharmaceutical companies are facing both at a local and at a global level.
Below is a top-level view of the most common questions that we were asked to research this year. We have organized the questions in 3 broad categories along the product life cycle.
- The most asked question for “clinical development” was to find out the clinical trial timelines. Depending on the project we need to uncover when a clinical trial was going to start, when the ad-interim data will be available, when the clinical trial would end or be published.
- The second most asked question was around the clinical trial design of future studies. Most of the clients were interested to learn more about the target patient populations, inclusion/exclusion criteria, primary and secondary endpoints as well as location of clinical trial sites.
- The third most popular question was to determine competitors’ clinical product strategy. Most of our clients were interested to understand target patient segments, which indications their competitors were planning to pursue and which biomarkers they were planning to study.
- The most asked question for “brand commercialization” was to find out competitor’s launch timelines. This included finding when the product was filed with regulatory agencies, expected approval timeline and expected product launches at the local level.
- The second most asked question was competitor’s messaging and positioning. This included selling messages, counter messages and how competitors position their product versus other competitors, versus other mechanisms of actions and versus other products in their portfolio.
- Field force allocation was another frequent question asked. Most of our clients were interested to find out the size of the sales representatives organization and MSL organization. In addition, several clients were also interested to know how these organizations were structured.
Loss of Exclusivity
- With many originator products coming off patent in the next few years there was an increased number of questions regarding biosimilars. The questions came from both companies facing patent loss and companies that had products for the same indications as the future biosimilars. The most asked questions was to find out the go to market strategy including product timelines and marketing activities.
- The second most asked question was to understand the commercial strategy from a reimbursement point of view. In particular clients were interested to learn about how much discount competitors were planning to provide compared to originator products.
- The third most asked question was to find out the messaging and positioning of the biosimilars products. Popular inquiries were around the promotional messages and counter messaging.
We hope you find this list useful as you plan your 2018 CI activities. Superior knowledge through competitive intelligence drives to superior strategies to win in the marketplace.
Please let us know how we can help you with these or any other competitive intelligence and strategy questions. At Atacana, we pride ourselves in the high quality of our deliverables that are both actionable and future looking. Please feel free to reach out to us if you would like to discuss any CI projects for 2018.